- This event has passed.
33rd Annual Candlelight Home Tour: Books by Candlelight
December 8, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Each year, the Hillsborough/Orange County Chamber of Commerce is proud to present the 33rd Annual Candlelight Home Tour: Books by Candlelight. A self-guided tour, Hillsborough Candlelight Tour invites guests to create family holiday traditions while exploring the town’s many historic treasures, visiting the local merchants, and becoming a “citizen for the day”! Visitors should expect to find more to do than can be accomplished in one afternoon, so relax and enjoy the stroll!
The 33rd Annual Candlelight Tour, scheduled for Sunday, December 8th (rain/snow date is Sunday, December 15th), will feature “pop-up” readings by local authors who have celebrated the charm of this small town in various writings as a testimony of their love for the place they live and work. The tradition of opening a variety of private homes and historic sites for self-guided tours continues, where visitors will find festive holiday decor, local musicians, and other holiday festivities.
Plans for this year’s tour include:
– Horse-drawn carriage rides available, departing from Burwell School every 30 minutes, beginning at 12 pm and last ride departing at 4:30 pm. (Carriage ride ticketing is separate from Home Tour ticket)
– A complimentary miniature train, circling the downtown historic district **NEW this year: The Family Train Ticket allows a family (up to 5 members) to ride the miniature train and access family-friendly activities and entertainment, but excludes admission to the private home portion of the tour.**
– Visits and picture-taking with Santa & Mrs. Claus at the Visitor’s Center
– Special entertainment by local band favorites Tea Cup Gin and Shoaldiggers.
– Our family-friendly “Hillsborough Passport” series, an exploration activity to discover some of our best-kept secrets
– Private reception with bestselling authors Frances Mayes (Under The Tuscan Sun) and Michael Malone (Emmy Award Winner for Days Of Our Lives) at The Inn at Teardrops from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm (VIP ticket purchase required)