About First Baptist Church c.1860/1868
Hillsborough Baptists, organized in 1853, first worshipped in the c. 1790 courthouse building which had been moved to the corner of Churton and E. Queen Streets. The congregation began building this structure in 1860. It features a free-standing Romanesque tower with doors leading to the gallery, formerly intended for slaves. Rounded arches appear over the interior windows, over the doors leading the Baptistry, and in the hand-carved beams of the high-open ceilings.
During the Civil War, the church lost its savings in worthless Confederate bonds. The building was not completed until 1868.