About Visitors Center
The Visitors Center is the primary resource for information on local attractions. There is also a gift shop, a folk art gallery, and a video on historic Hillsborough for public viewing. In addition, the Visitors Center is located in the Historic Alexander Dickson House, on of the most historically significant buildings in town.
The Dickson house, a late-18th century Quaker plan house is considered “The Last Confederate Headquarter” as it was where Joseph E. Johnston housed in 1865 as he planned the largest troop surrender of the Civil War. The house was moved from its original location to its present location in the early 1980’s.when it was threatened by retail development. The site also includes an outbuilding, probably used as General Johnston’s office and a 19th century medicinal and culinary and herb garden.
Address150 E King Street
Hillsborough, NC 27278